Tuesday, August 4, 2009

[Anomaly - Unauthorized Video Recording]

Amaterasu appears on the camera, looking furtively around the room, her green eyes a bit wide. She fumbles with the camera, trying to center it on her face and having some difficulty. She sucks nervously on the end of one of her dreadlocks as she finally sets the camera on a nearby table and crouches in front of it. She stares at it for a moment, waving her hand in front of it as if expecting it to follow her movements. It doesn't.

Umm, s-so...I g-guess this i-is R-Reimei's...th-thing...

She looks around again as if nervous.

I'm p-probably not s-supposed to u-use it...but...

Amaterasu bites her lip.

R-Reimei's been...k-kind of weird...and...I d-don't know w-what do do...Miss Inara...she c-called me l-last n-night...And...w-well...she said that R-Reimei was acting w-weird too...and that they had to w-watch him...

Amaterasu flinches slightly, and the dreadlock she'd had in her mouth falls out, one of the beads woven into her hair clicking against the PRETA insignia on her collar as it falls back onto her shoulder.

I d-don't know...what happened...R-Reimei said he was f-fine...but M-Miss Inara's doctors w-watched him all n-night, and I had to s-stay in a b-bed across from him b-because he had all these w-wires hooked into...into his head...

Amaterasu wrings her hands, her knuckles popping slightly as she squeezes her hands against each other where they rest on her knees.

H-he's been...k-kind of weird...l-like he d-doesn't always p-pay attention to things...and s-sometimes he has nosebleeds...I d-don't know w-what's wrong...but he always says n-not to worry...I h-hope he's okay...

The sound of a door opening can be heard, and Amaterasu jumps, looking up, to the right of the camera. A soft, but low, masculine voice drifts through the doorway.

Oh, there you are, Amaterasu. I went to send a message and realized that I have your datapad instead of mine. I thought I'd bring it back in case the Ghosts needed you for anything.

Amaterasu practically jumps to her feet, grabbing the datapad from the table in a fit of guilty clumsiness.

O-oh...s-sorry...umm...h-here...

The camera registers only the ceiling as it is thrust toward the sound of Reimei's voice.

Thanks, Amaterasu. Here you go.

There is a short pause, and the hand holding the camera must be trembling, because the view of the ceiling becomes quite wobbly.

Amaterasu, is everything okay?

The camera shakes more violently.

Y-yeah...It's j-just...I'm s-sorry...I f-forgot...and I w-was g-going to g-go to the h-hangar...because...because m-my Rifter g-got b-blown up y-yesterday...s-so...I w-wanted to m-make sure the n-new one w-was...all d-done...

A large shadow passes past the camera, and the tips of spiky black hair are visible as it passes. The camera angle changes again to show Reimei's broad back, and the capsuleer implants just visible on the back of his neck, his hair nowhere near long enough to cover them. The camera swings around and gives a view of the wall as the datapad thuds against Reimei's side in a hug.

I'm sorry, Amaterasu. Tell you what, I have some contract work back in the Black Rise, but on the way back, I'll see about having the rest of your ships brought back out to Goinard, okay?

The camera moves up and down slightly, echoing Amaterasu's nod.

Okay, well, let me go grab a couple things and I'll see if I can find you a transport service, or see if I have a big enough hauler to do it myself instead of taking the Interbus back.

The camera moves again as Reimei steps away. A moment later, there is a faint rustle and the large Civire slides sideways onto the ground, impacting the floor with a dull thud. Amaterasu's shriek resounds through the room.

Reimei!!

The datapad falls to the ground with a clatter, the camera just briefly showing a dazed looking Reimei shaking his head and pushing back to his feet before it impacts the ground and shuts off.


No comments:

Post a Comment